Saturday, May 5, 2012

Establishing Contacts/Expanding Resources




                                
             


The steps that I took this week to get into contact with two professionals has not been successful as of yet.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will hear back from one or more by Monday.  I emailed professionals in Africa, Croatia, China, and someone from Unicef in order to at least make one or two hits.  I am going to try emailing a couple more to increase my chances of actually getting into contact with someone.  I am truly hoping that I will hear from one of the people I chose so that I do not have to complete the alternative assignment.  I think it would be very interesting to actually correspond with someone from another country and to receive their personal insight into the topics I will be learning. 
    I used the links that we were given but when I tried to click on people's listed email accounts there, it sent me to a page about configuring something on my computer.  I am always leary when my computer asks me to download something or to change something, so I didn't do that.  Instead, I wrote down the email addresses and went into my own email and sent the messages this way.  One of my messages did come back to me(it had failed) but the others did not, so it is my hope that someone will reply soon.

After looking over the lists of resources for websites that we could choose from, I knew the one I needed to pick right away.  The one I chose was the Children's Defense Fund.  After visiting the website and seeing the following logo I knew that I had made the right choice.
  
After the first class that I took for this master's degree, I knew that I wanted to become a stronger advocate for children and I have been looking for a way to do that.  Just from glancing at the website(so far) I can see that this organization does that and is looking for people to get involved.  I am very excited to learn more about it in the coming weeks.  I signed up for their newsletter and I am looking forward to receiving that and reading it.  I'm anticipating learning about this organization and passing on to others ways in which they may become involved as well.  Together we can all make a difference.

My helpful tip would be to choose an organization where the topics will be close to your heart.  I know the well being of children is at the root of my heart and so I'm looking forward to the coming weeks and learning more about it.  Anytime that we can learn about something that interests us or touches our lives in some way, we are more invested in that learning.  It allows us to take the passion that we feel for something and pass it on to others.  I am anxious to read all of your blogs to learn more about the other organizations that you are all interested in. 

References(for picture):
Children's Defense Fund(2012). Retrieved from http://www.childrensdefense.org/
.
 
  

5 comments:

  1. Val,

    Thank you for sharing the difficulty you have also had in making contacts. Like you, I think it would be interesting to converse with people from other countries and hear about the strengths and opportunities for growth they are experiencing.

    The Children's Defense Fund looks to be a wonderful organization. I look forward to reading your blog so that I can experience the website through you.

    Good luck in your pursuit of contacts outside the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Val,

    I too am have not heard from any of the professionals I contacted, I will keep my fingers crossed for us both.

    I look forward to reading more about The Childs Defense Fund and your thoughts and insights throughout this course.

    Good luck!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Val,
    I have not had contact with the people I emailed from France, Cote d'Ivoire and Germany. I am hoping they email me back. I am interested in discussing topics we learn in this class and building a relationship where we can visit each other's country to collaborate. I hope you are successful with your contacts. It is very exciting. I love the tip you gave about choosing a website link that is close to your heart. I look forward to reading about your contacts with the different countries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks as if we are all in the same boat as to waiting to here back from the people we emailed. You went far beyond the required and attempted to contact more than two people and I hope someone gets back to you soon.
    I love that you knew which organization was calling your name. This program has made me more of an active advocate in the lives of children and I am happy to know I am not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    I look forward to sharing and learning from your blogs. I enjoyed the pictures.

    ReplyDelete