Friday, June 22, 2012

Consequences of International Learning


#1 Global Awareness:
                One consequence of learning about the international early childhood field is global awareness.  I know that often times we (as a society) and me (as a person) tend to get stuck in the here and now and don’t even think about what someone else might be going through.  Before this class I know that I was guilty of not even really thinking about other countries and how they deal with the same issues and trends that we are dealing with here in the U.S.  This class has given me an understanding of the importance of learning about our global companions on this earth.  There is so much to be learned from studying the demographics and diversity of other countries.  In becoming globally aware we establish a platform of information that we can use to build on our understanding and learning of early childhood education and children in general.

#2 Cultural Diversity:
                Another consequence of international learning is an enhancement in the understanding of cultural diversity.  I think that it is impossible to read or learn about another country and not learn, at least on some level, about their culture.  Cultural diversity is so important to know about because as a country that has many people living here from other countries it is something that will touch our lives at some point.  We need to be aware of our students’cultures so that we know how to sufficiently teach them.  In learning about other countries and their cultures we arm ourselves with the knowledge we need to create warm and welcoming environments for children and their families.  It also gives us information on how other countries support and use cultural diversity in their early childhood educational settings.

#3 Building Partnerships:
                The final consequence I feel is a result of learning about international early childhood programs is building global partnerships.  Although I was never able to establish a contact with a global partner I know that the opportunity is there.  In reading other people’s blogs it is evident that having a global partner is very beneficial to learning about other countries and the developments in the early childhood field within those countries.  Building partnerships is important in any job that we may have but building partners within the early childhood field is invaluable in helping us create classrooms that have global awareness and respect cultural diversity.  In building partnerships with colleagues from other countries we are able to gain and share information and ideas that can aid us in our teaching styles and help us to deal with the issues that as a universe we are all dealing with on some level. 

My Personal Goal
                It was disheartening to me to not be able to get any international contacts throughout this course.  There were times when I wanted to quit trying but each time we had a new assignment and I would do more research I would realize that there are so many people out there that I can still try and contact.  I have two goals to increase my international awareness of issues and trends.  The first one is to not give up on forming a global partnership with at least one other person.  I will continue to email colleagues from around the world until I find someone with whom I can share ideas and learn from.  Even though this class will be over, having a global partner will be helpful in my other classes and a great resource for my classroom.  My other goal is to join a global organization that deals with the issues and trends in the early childhood and education field.  I have been researching The Children’s Defense Fund over the past eight weeks and I like everything that I see in this organization.  I have subscribed to their newsletter but I know that there is more that I can do to become a partner with them.  On their website they have ways of becoming involved in the organization and I plan on researching these different avenues, coming up with the one that is best for me, and joining the campaign.  This goal will help continue my development in global awareness, cultural diversity, and building global partnerships.  I want to continue to “stay out of the box” and learn as much about my global companions as I can.  Our world is constantly changing and it is so very important for our future that we recognize these changes and learn how to embrace each other as a global community.

Thank You
                I just wanted to take a quick minute and thank our professor for creating the basis for this class and “opening my eyes” to the world around me.  The lessons and information that I have learned I will carry with me and have become an invaluable part of my learning.  Also, to my colleagues I want to say “thank you” for sharing all of your personal insight, stories, advice, and knowledge with me.  I have learned something from each one of you and I consider you each a wonderful blessing.  Best of luck to each of you in your future classes and I’m sure some of us will meet again.  God bless!
               


2 comments:

  1. Val, I want to wish you the best of luck! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog posts and we share the goal of continuing to reach out to possible international contacts. I too believe it is important and so valuable to our work as educators to have connections around the work. It allows us to learn more about other countries and their practices and helps us to see the importance of our work around the world. I hope we can both make meaningful international connections soon! Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val,

    Thank you for your post. The ideas that you have gained while taking this class are invaluable. I was just reading this week in the newspaper that Asians now make up the largest number of immigrants, surpassing the Latino group. It is important to know this as I brush up on my Spanish. I guess I will be learning Mandarin Chinese as well.

    I know that you will have success in regard to finding an international contact. It is helpful to be able to share ideas from people in other areas of the world. It gives us a wider lens when thinking about education and how to make improvements to the system we now have in the United States.

    I wish you well as you pursue your master's degree. No matter where we live or work, our passion must continue to shine and grow. I hope that we will have future classes together so that we have the opportunity to share our knowledge and strength.

    Two new staff members joining us in Virginia are from Pennsylvania. What a small world it is!

    ReplyDelete