Saturday, June 29, 2013

Time Well Spent








                                             
This program taught me:
            The first thing that I learned from this program of study was that we have passion about
an issue inside us for a reason and we need to take that passion and use it.  Once I recognized
the passion that I have to help children and I was able to identify the ways that I can use
that passion to become dedicated to a cause and make a change in society, then nothing could
stop me.  I have become a person fueled by this passion and committed to making the world a
better place first for the children and families in my community and then for the children and
families in the world.  I learned that I was not aware that I had this kind of passion within me
but now it has changed me and I’m ready to use it to change the world.

            The second thing I have learned is that I had a complete misconception as to what
diversity is before this program.  In the words of Ola Joseph, “Diversity is not about how we
differ, it is about embracing one another’s uniqueness” (Laureate Education, 2011).  I have
learned that diversity is something that we need to reflect and celebrate in our classrooms
because diversity is what makes each child and person what he/she is.  In my opinion many
teachers see diversity in the same way that I did and that is when someone is from another
country or of another race.  I was wrong about diversity but I have had the chance to take
learning and use it to change my misconceptions and now I will be able to do the same for
others.  

          
            The third thing that I have learned is that self-reflection is a major part in learning.
 If we want to become true anti-bias educators, then we have to be able to look within ourselves
and uncover the hidden biases that we may be harboring.  Self-reflection allows us to examine
our thoughts, feelings, and actions in order to become better educators, learners and people
day by day.  In order to successfully learn anything, we must first learn about ourselves and
be willing to encompass not only our strengths but our weaknesses as well.  Knowing our
weaknesses can help us to change them so that then they can become a part of our strength.

         
            The final and most important thing that I believe I learned during this program is that
I have the ability to be an inspiration.  I have been inspired by so many people in my life and
also during the course of this program, but I never believed that I could be someone like that.
Julie Benavides said that “everyone has the ability to inspire” (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011).
I now agree with this statement and I know that with the knowledge and support I have gained
through this program I CAN become an inspiration to someone else. 

Long-Term Goals
            The first long-term goal that I have is to keep learning.  I want to keep studying about
early childhood education and all of the many ways that I can be an agent of social change
within the field.  I haven’t decided for sure yet but my future plans could involve gaining my
doctorate in the field and maybe someday teaching some courses in early childhood education.
            My second long-term goal is to open and operate a Christian-based preschool/daycare. 
I want this school to be a reflection of all that I have learned in this program because if it is, I
know that it will be a success.  I want my program to be one that is rich in diversity, is
welcoming to everyone, and inspires others to want to make a change in the world.  I now
know that if I even make a difference in the life of one child and family, then I can be proud
of that.  What I would not be proud of is never trying.  I will take this precious gift that I have
been given and use it help change the world. 
 

Farewell Message     
            I don’t really like to say goodbye so I will just say “until we meet again.”  I really hope
that I will have the chance to work with all of you again in the future.  Each person that I have
had the chance to interact with I consider a blessing to my life.  I completely believe that the
people that we meet are put in our lives for a reason and I know that all of you were gifts to me. 
Thank you for all of your wisdom, encouragement, support, and advice as we have traveled
down this road together.  Each one of you is in my prayers and I will be praying that many
blessings will be added into your life for the blessings that you have brought to mine.
Always know that you have someone who is willing to be a support for you and I will
help you in any way that I can.  Take care and I know that the future is bright because
you all are shining lights!
            Dr. Teri – Thank you very much for all that you have given to me during this course.
It wasn’t until this course that I finally believed enough in myself to realize that I can and want
to be an agent of social change.  Your wisdom, expertise, guidance and especially your
encouragement is something that I will treasure always.  You are a wonderful teacher who
strives to bring out the best in her students.  I thank you for showing me what inspiration looks
and feels like because you have been a great inspiration to me.  God Bless You!       

                             


Reference:
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Merging vision, passion, and practice [Multimedia    presentation]. Baltimore, MD: Retrieved from: http://mym.cdn.laureate- media.com/2dett4d/Walden/EDUC/6990/01/mm/ec_pres/index.html

  
 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Val for sharing your comments and post. I agree that we al driven by the passion we possess regarding the Early Childhood Field. This course has provided me the fuel to get things started for change. I wish you much success. I am sure your Center will do well as we all have gained so much from our Master Program.

    ReplyDelete