Sunday, November 4, 2012

Effective Communication

     When I read the assignment for this blog about who we believe is an effective communicator I automatically thought of the pastor of my church.  I feel that he is effective for many reasons.  The first reason he is effective is because of his knowledge basis.  He really knows the bible and that allows him to be able to effectively communicate what is in it to the congregation.  Another reason he is effective is because he communicates with us on a personal level.  He does not stand at the head of the church and preach "at" us as if he believes himself to be better than we are.  He preaches "to" us and relates what he is teaching to every day life events that we are going through.  His communication is respectful but he is also willing to share his beliefs with us without fear of what someone might think of him.  He is always there to lend advice if someone needs him and he also listens which in turn makes for a good communicator.  He shows compassion in his speech and is willing to help out and do things for other people without a second thought.  This makes him effective in not just his verbal language but also his nonverbal language as well. 
     I would definitely want to model some of my own communication after Pastor Jim because I want to be able to stand up for what I believe in without coming across as being judgemental.  I want to be able to communicate in a respectful and caring manner in all of my daily speech and just like Pastor Jim I want people to know that I am always there to help them out if they need it either by listening or by lending advice.  I definitely look up to my pastor and his communication skills and I will continue to learn from him so that I might be able to incorporate these skills into my own daily life.   

No comments:

Post a Comment