Saturday, March 2, 2013

What I Have Learned

            

Hope                                                            
 My greatest hope as I look into the future and working with children and families of diverse backgrounds is that my classroom will always be an environment where children and families feel welcomed, respected, and valued.  I want to be the kind of teacher and person whose actions and words reflect appreciation and love for all people regardless of the differences that may exist between us.  My hope is for a world in which beauty is seen by looking at   people inside out and living  
   Goals:             
        My goal for the early childhood field in relation to issues of diversity is that all people will learn the true definition of diversity.  I will be sure to teach others what I have learned about diversity and spread the knowledge that diversity goes beyond color of skin, language, or ethnicity.  Diversity is everything about us that makes us unique and sets us apart from other individuals.  If all teachers looked at the students that they teach with a true definition of diversity in their minds, they would see those students in a whole new light and would become better teachers for it. 
 My goal for the field of early childhood education in relation to equity is that we could come to the understanding that if we respect and value diversity, then we should be creating classrooms that provide equal access for all children to reach their full potential.  My personal goal is to make sure that I am representing all diversities in my classroom and that I am giving each student and each family the same opportunities to be involved in our learning community.  It is my goal to create a classroom where all children and families feel valued and no one feels excluded or left out.  My goal is then to spread this idea throughout my district in the hopes that my colleagues will catch on and we can have a school that is devoted to equity in education.    
My goal for social justice in the early childhood field is to become a better advocate for children and their families in the area of diversity and anti-bias education.  I want to further my education and then possibly open my own early childhood center where I will be able to create a curriculum that supports and represents the diversity that makes our world so unique.  I would like to offer some professional development ideas to my administration that promote anti-bias education and include information on the importance of social justice in the classroom and school community.  I want to make sure that social justice goes beyond people just talking about the importance of it, but rather demonstrating the importance through actions and commitment to anti-bias education. 

Heartfelt Thanks
        It would be impossible to gain everything that we can gain from these classes without each other’s help.  I am so appreciative of the help, support, and knowledge I have received from Dr. Kien and all of my colleagues in this course.  Thank you all so very much for sharing your wisdom, experiences, knowledge, and perspectives with me.  I am a better person and teacher from having the chance to interact with all of you.  May God continue to bless you on this journey and at any time that I may be of assistance please contact me.  Always remember to shine your light wherever you go!
 

5 comments:

  1. Valerie,

    I consider we have gotten very useful tools and strategies that help us do our work fairer and more human. By identifying the differences among families and children we work with, we will make our work more significant and enriching for everyone, making our contribution to the creation of a fairer society.

    Thanks for sharing your wisdom through your posts and comments. Good luck in the last two courses Val!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val,

    I respect your goals; we must become better advocates for children and their families because we, as educators may be their only voice. We must strive to educate others in diversity and anti-bias education. The tools and resources we have gotten from this course alone has been beneficial in showing me what I need to do to be the best anti-bias educator I can be.

    Good luck to you in your future courses; I hope to be able to see your insightful posts!

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerie,
    Thank you for sharing how you would use diversity in your class and opening up a center in the future. I still see professional child development teachers using diversity in their classroom as celebrations. We know how to use diversity in many different ways because of courses like this at Walden. I think that we were at the right place at the right time to be able to re-think and learn diversity curriculum in our classroom with children and parents. I enjoyed your post and your blog page, you are ready creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerie,
    I have enjoyed working with you in this class. I wish you the best on your hopes and goals. This class has changed by view of the world, and your contributions have made an impact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I know I have learned many things throughout this course that I will take with me. My students and families in my classroom will be much better off. I now understand how important it is to value and accept the studens and families in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete